Golden Residence Permit
Golden Residence Permit
New legal provisions open up the possibility of foreign investors who enters the country regularly (v.g. holders of valid Schengen Visas, or beneficiaries of Visa exemption) of applying for a residence permit for pursuing investment activities by transferring capital, creating jobs or acquiring real estate.
Residence holders with permits for pursuing investment activities are entitled to:
- Enter Portugal without the requirement of a residential visa;
- Live and work in Portugal, having to stay in Portugal for a period of at least 7 days in the first year and no less than 14 days in subsequent years;
- Travel within the Schengen area without the need for a visa;
- Benefit from family regrouping;
- Request the assignment of Permanent Authorisation of Residence under Foreign Laws;
- Request Portuguese nationally, through naturalisation, complying with the requirements of the Nationality Law.
This regime is not applicable to citizens who have Portuguese nationality and nationals of the EU and the European Economic Area.
- The acquisition of real estate with a value of 500 thousand Euros or more
- Transfer of capital worth 1 million Euros or more (including investments in company stocks or shares)
- The creation of at least 10 jobs
- The transfer of capital in values greater than or equal to 250 thousand Euros, applied to support artistic production, recovery or maintenance of cultural heritage
- Transfer of capital in values greater than or equal to 350 thousand Euros, applied to scientific and technological research activities
- The purchase of real estate with a global value greater than or equal to 350 thousand euros (in an area of urban rehabilitation, or buildings over 30 years old and the implementation of recovery works to the property purchased)
- Transfer of values with a global value greater than or equal to 500 thousand euros for the purchase of participation units in investment funds or risk capital aimed at the capitalisation of small and medium companies which, for this purpose, present the respective capitalisation plan which is deemed viable.
This type of investment can be made individually or via a sole shareholder company of which the Applicant is a member.
- Purchase them under a co-ownership regime, as long as the Applicant invests a total value greater than or equal to 500 thousand Euros;
- Purchase them through a sole shareholder company of which they are a member;
- Encumber then, in the part which exceeds the value of 500 thousand euros;
- Rent them or use them for commercial, agricultural or tourist purposes.
- Make an online application at (http://ari.sef.pt) (Online pre-registration is obligatory) and deliver the application to the Directorates and Regional Delegations of Foreign Service and borders.
- Book a time for delivering the ARI application, at an FSB desk, via the ARI Line, Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5:30 pm, by calling +351 214236625
THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONSULTING THE APPLICABLE LEGISLATION
Ministry of Internal Affairs – Foreign Services and Borders